A Brief History
Inglewood Elementary School is located on a five-acre campus at 1700 Riverside Drive. The school began as a new county school on September 29, 1929, in a tent on Memorial Drive. Memorial Drive was so named to honor soldiers and has since been renamed Riverside Drive.
A new school building was built in 1929. It opened with 160 students in grades 1-8. This was the beginning of the Depression and budget cuts were made, such as having racks for coats and hats instead of lockers. At this time there was only one house on Riverside Drive.
In 1934 a tornado struck the area but did not cause damage to the school, except for the loss of one tree. During this same time the flagpole that had been on Riverside Drive in honor of soldiers was moved to its present location on the school grounds.
The cafeteria, two classrooms, office, clinic, and the county's first hard surface court were added between 1942 and 1948 with an enrollment of about 400 students. Grade level changes were made again in 1954. Grades 1-6 remained at Inglewood and grades 7-8 moved to Litton Jr. High School. The library was renovated in 1965 with the addition of a part-time Librarian. A Reading Support class, Special Education classes, Resource teacher and a full time Librarian were added in 1967 with an enrollment of 670 students. In 1971-1972 the school's grade levels changed again due to rezoning. A computer lab was added in the fall of 2000. The school was first accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1980 and in 1987 was recognized by the State of Tennessee as an Exemplary School.
Inglewood was chosen as a demonstration school for a new program, Success for All, in 1995. The next year construction began on an addition and renovation of the school. The renovation was completed in 1996 with a new gymnasium, community room, large kitchen and cafeteria, elevator and 27 classrooms. Beginning in 2005, Inglewood Elementary began serving our youngest students with two pre-Kindergarten classes.
The history of our school would not be complete without the recognition of our principals. These individuals have been leaders in education in our county and have given our community much of themselves. We are grateful for their love of our children, community, and staff. Beginning with our first principal their names are: Miss Lavinia Robinson, Mrs. Ernest Ingram, Mr. Charles Spurlock, Mr. Coleman Crockett, Mr. William Maggart, Mr. Robert Mingle, Miss Nancy Rhea, Mrs. Bertha Brown, Mrs. Clementine Chamberlain and Ms. Carrie Mickle. Thank you all.
Inglewood has a long history of dedicated and caring community and staff who have shown their concern for students' lives and learning. Our children and their growth as students and citizens is a continuing focus.